Sunday 16 April 2017

CONFIDENCE IN PUBLIC SPEAKING

Do you know that according to Wall Street Journal, speaking in public is the number one fear in America? I don’t know the statistic for London or Lagos but I knew that I definitely didn’t want to be a part of it. So I embarked on overcoming my fear of public speaking.





BACKGROUND

The fear started in my teens. I remember those 
awkward years. I missed out in joining the debating and drama society because of nerves. As I got older I knew I needed to kill that fear and so I decided to feel the fear and do it anyway. The following tips is how I overcame my fear of public speaking.


Chinyere Anokuru speaking at a Raising Confident Girls 

BABY STEPS

The thought of speaking would send me into shivers but I realised that I was missing out on so many opportunities to impact the world. I started small from speaking to about 50 people to a hall full of over 1000 people. It is actually 2nd nature for me, especially if the topic is close to my heart. Thank God


Passionately speaking Chio Nwammah

PREPARATION IS THE KEY

I know it’s a cliche but the more you practice, 
the better you became. Remember to always practice and practice. Practice in front of your family. Practice in front of friends. Just practice. Remember the simple rules of speaking. Have a great introduction, great flow of ideas in a logical manner and develop a great ending.

Leave your guests with something to ponder on
or be inspired by. I still get butterflies in my stomach before a speaking engagement but I feel the fear and do it anyway.

Kunle speaking at  event powered by Majestically Rare

SPEAK AT LAST

If you have something important to say to the
world, then find your voice and find your platform to speak at. Remember when you are speaking it’s never about you. It is always about your audience and how you can inspire and motivate them. Once you know that truth, it will definitely calm your nerves. 


Yinka Enahoro empowering girls at Queens College

FIND YOUR NICHE

We are not all going to be great motivators. 
Some of us are story tellers. Some of you may be good at delivering a lecture or a seminar. Just find what suits you when it comes to speaking in front of an audience.

HOW I CAN SERVE?

Speaking at an event powered by WOWe

I am ready for more speaking engagements and topics that I am
 passionate about include How to Turn Adversity into Purpose. How to Grow from Pain to Purpose. How to Get Your Groove on - Confidently. How to Stand Up For Yourself. How to Feel the Fear and Be Bold. How to Serve Others and While Helping Yourself. How to Stop Pretending And Start Living. How To Be Yourself, Unashamedly!

What about you? Are you a speaker too? What 
motivates you to speak to others? 

Thanks for stopping by and if this article inspired then please feel free to share


No comments:

Post a Comment