Monday 23 October 2017

EVENTS & MARKETING MIX IN PICTURES

Every time I conclude a major event and get that satisfaction of a job well done especially from the client, it reminds me why and how I got into Events in the first place and after 20 years I am still here. 

Here's my journey

PRIDE MAGAZINE EXPERIENCE

After Uni, I landed myself in a fast paced marketing department doing all sorts of ‘’marketing tasks’’ and planning reader party nights for UK's Pride Magazine. It felt like real fun especially for a 20 something year old like me but because it was an internship, the novelty of being there wore out. I was like ''show me the money'' as they say and after three months moved on.

THE DORCHESTER - A BREATHTAKING VENUE

THE DORCHESTER EXPERIENCE

The sacrifice of the unpaid experience was worth it though and soon led to a paid role at Financial Times magazines where I was assisting the Events Department with prestigious black tie awards. It was a dream experience. The awards were WOW and held at Dorchester London and the likes. I was literally the only black face at such events but that didn’t faze me. I was just fascinated by the glitz and glam and the detailed planning that came with organizing such classy events. I got to wine and dine with top notch executives  and learnt the art of fine dining.

BBC YEARS

BBC EXPERIENCE

After that experience, I landed a role in the marketing department at the BBC. There was an opportunity to coordinate a few events but they were not as glamorous as the Financial Times award nights, if the truth be told. But event experience is experience especially BBC experience. I was there for 8 years.

POP IDOL THEMES SEASON

LAGOS EVENTS

Roll on 8 years and by 2008 I was in Lagos and my love for event planning wouldn’t go away, especially in a place like Lagos where Event Management is huge. Looking back I was bold. I didn’t really know the way of the land or the mannerism of this new environment. I was adapting to a new scene but threw myself  in and organized all manner of events: weddings, kiddies parties, product launches, grand openings and I even managed a burial reception. 

GRAND WEDDING AT LANDMARK


CHURCH EVENTS

At some point, I was the head of Events at TPH church in Lekki. That was a big eye opener for me and there was some really grand church conferences, rallies and speaker breakfast meetings to manage. 

But my real satisfaction comes from planning corporate events, especially because of my corporate background. I am a professional and have strong skills in process and order mixed with creativity.

GRAND BOOK LAUNCH & DINNER


CORPORATE EVENTS 

And because of years of experience of delivering effective marketing campaigns, I understand the business objective of putting together corporate events and look for ways to add value. I am also strong on customer service and excellence and dont mind going the extra the mile to get the work done. 


CAREER ADVICE

What's my advice for those seeking a career in Events or Marketing or both? Get experience even if it’s unpaid. Both fields are very competitive, so you really need an unfair advantage to get in. Mine was my passion and the eagerness of wanting to learn and going the extra mile to help. Potential employers can spot it, especially if youve done a lot of voluntary work. It shows that you are dedicated and passionate. Make that sacrifice to work hard and the rewards will surely pay off.


SATISFIED GUESTS


In 2012, I stepped out of full time employment after 20 years and set up Majestically Rare. We provide both Events and Marketing Management as both skills set add real value to our clients.  Although there have been challenges and even setbacks, we have managed some mind blowing events and been involved in some mega marketing campaigns. I love what I do and just wanted to share my journey. 

Here's my previous blog post
THE POWER OF RELATIONSHIPS

Thanks for stopping and please let me know whether you have ever worked in Events or Marketing and what you enjoyed about the experience.




No comments:

Post a Comment