Tuesday 6 September 2016

COPING DURING TOUGH TIMES

I have experienced a series of tough times in my life so I think I’m in a position to share some coping techniques that have helped me. It can be a scary season especially when the burden is financial but one thing I would say is that there is always, always, always light at the end of tunnel as long you are doing your bit. So listed below are things I recommend during Tough Times.  




Choose Carefully Who You Share With

During tough times it’s so easy to have a pity party but not everyone will sympathize with you. Some may even avoid you.  Use wisdom and discernment in sharing your challenges. Not everyone can handle it. Some may think it’s contagious and flee from you. Don’t share with everyone. Be very selective.

Cut Down On Luxuries

The finer things in life need to be cut out in tough seasons. There is absolutely no point in keeping up with the Jones. When we started our businesses, for three years in a row, my family didn’t travel abroad and we just told our children that we just couldn’t afford it. It doesn’t mean you are less of a person. It just means you are cutting your coat according to your pocket. As a pointer because I have been through tough seasons, I am always on the look out for bargains, even when travelling. There are plenty of airlines that offer sales. The key is to book on time. 

Think Creatively

In the one of the toughest financial seasons of my life, I was forced to step out and set up my own business. It turned out to be a blessing. One of the ideas that came up through my tough season was the start  of High Impact Business growth workshops. Friends were shocked at the small fees I was charging when I started but I had a strategy. The workshops have led to further training with corporates and banks. 

Always have a plan and think about what you are ultimately trying to achieve. Think about what you can do in tough times to create value. Brainstorm all your gifts and talents. You will be surprised at the ideas that come up.




Opportunity For Growth

Every tough season, provides an opportunity for growth. It’s an opportunity to think out of the box. It’s an opportunity to think about new ideas.  It’s an opportunity to learn lessons. It’s an opportunity to gain more knowledge by reading when business is slow. During my tough times, I read and grabbed everything I could get my hands on. I also attended several free events.




Be A Giver

The natural thing to do when there is shortage is to stop giving but the natural and spiritual laws still apply during tough seasons. The more you give out, the more you get back. Don’t stop giving. Giving gives you focus to step out of yourself.  It’s not all about oneself. Think of a platform where you can give. You never know where it can lead to. 


Have Long Term Strategy

Its so easy to think short term when things are tough. For example, so many friends wonder why I came back to Lagos and didn’t stay in London through these tough times. It wouldn’t make sense to just pack and go without a plan. I have to keep saying to myself, ''Don’t lose sight of your purpose in an attempt to escape hardship''. Always have a plan.

Exercise

I have found exercise to be very therapeutic especially during tough times. Those prayers walks are powerful. Doing exercise helps one feel good about yourself as well as lose weight. Aside from exercise it's important to lead a healthy lifestyle especially during tough times, so start today.

Guard Your Heart

Finally, in tough times it’s important to guard one’s heart and lean on the Word of God. Has HE not said he will never leave you or forsake you? Has he not said HIS promises are Yes and Amen? Has He not said that HE will not forsake the righteous? Do not lean on your own understanding but meditate on the Word of God. Don’t read or believe everything you read on social media or in the news. Remember it’s not your portion. Protect your heart and read the word of God and believe what HE says. 



If you have any more useful tips about coping through tough times, please share with me in the comment box as it will help others’. If you found this article useful please share with others. You don’t know who might need to read this message today. I'm praying for our nation. 


Thanks for stopping by. 

5 comments:

  1. It's important to remain an optimist during tough times, see the good in everything especially your challenge. Also remain happy and stay close to the people you love and those who love you. I have found that when people go through challenges and tough times, they become introverted and their sense of humor almost dies, so they take every joke too seriously, they become bitter and angry which is just toxic. It's important to stay happy and be true to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your contribution Damie and well said.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this. As one who's gone thru tough times as a kid and seen how my parents did their best to teach us valuable lessons thru that period.... I'd say this- Parents, children understand a lot more than you think, so share your challenges with them. This doesn't mean you should paint a bleak picture, you must always sustain hope. Share with them your plans to cut down and cope thru the tough times and ask them what they think they can do to contribute. You'd be surprised. My sister would get her hostel in university, sell it and go to school from home. The proceeds she would use to buy her medical textbooks. She helped out in this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Brenda. Great tips. It's remarkable what one can achieve under pressure.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for sharing Brenda. Great tips. It's remarkable what one can achieve under pressure.

      Delete