Monday 3 October 2016

THOUGHTS OF SWEET 16

My one and only daughter is sweet 16 today. I thank God for this day. I am also thankful for the pouring of love from our family and friends across the world. I am trying to remember where the years have flown. She actually came out quite fast.  One minute my husband was washing the car to take me to the hospital and the next minute shortly after arrival, our daughter was born. I cant even remember what she weighed but I just remember feeling incredibly blessed and thankful. I still do.



My Sweet 16
I remember my sweet 16th with fondness. I just wanted to be 16. I kept telling my mum that I couldn’t wait to be 16.  Was 16 really going to change my world? Is it the number 16 that is so sweet. Is there something about being sweet 16? Is it the last years of deep innocence before you are a fully fledged adult.  I wonder. I had finished my WAEC  (o levels) in Nigeria and had returned back to the UK to do A levels by the time I was 16. My sweet 16th was spent at Madam Tussards, a well known tourist center in London. I remember the dress I wore. It was white and flowery. My dad who has passed on, snapped lots of photos which I do hope I can find one day.



Flourishing at 16

I believe by the time a girl reaches 16, you’ve pretty much done as much as you can to imbibe your values in her. This is the time that she should flourish from a teen into a responsible adult, if she has been raised well. Even if she hasnt, she still has a chance to take control over her life and grow.  Some girls are late bloomers.




Moving On Up

At 16, some girls may have a clear idea of what they want to do in life which is pretty unusual. Most havent discovered themselves or their potentials. I believe as parents we should encourage our children along their areas of strengths, rather than what we would like them to do. What they need is praise and encouragement. 

I hope my daughter enjoys her year of being sweet 16 because before she blinks, life just passes by very fast.

How was your 16th birthday? Do you remember it? Please leave a comment and tell me your story. I love to interact. Please share this post with others and thanks for stopping by.



No comments:

Post a Comment