Tuesday 15 May 2018

WHAT COMES AFTER LOSS?


After watching an episode of Red Table Talk with Jada Pinkett Smith and her family on Facebook, I was thinking about my own deep losses. I didn’t really have many major losses in my life until my 40’s. 

After loss comes strength 

LOOSING FAMILY

My first major loss was losing my beloved younger brother Chris to cancer just before my 40th birthday and then my father in-law died a few years later. My mother in-law passed on early this year and she was buried quite recently in the village. I miss them all dearly and each death came with pain and grief.

But the death of my father blew my mind and was the biggest shock of my life because it was so unexpected. He wasnt old or extremely sick. He had complained of flu symptoms that week but nothing could have prepared us for his death. My dad just went to sleep and never woke up. 

The day my older brother called me from London to share the shocking news was the worst day of my life but surprisingly out of that loss has come the most strongest and powerful expression of myself. Even though my dad left  in the physical, he is always with me in the spirit. 


Always a Daddy's Girl


Everyone around me was so surprised at how I coped and handled the loss including my husband because I was a daddy’s girl. I cried a river for a long time, prayed Psalm 34 daily and other scriptures and then came peace and strength. I developed a strong belief in myself and a great desire to live my life to the max. I realized that life is indeed short and no one knows tomorrow. All you have is today so you have to live in the moment. 

This blog was birthed during the loss of my father and writing kept me sane.


Strong friendships formed  

NOTHING LASTS FOREVER 

I felt a deep loss over a sisterhood that I was part of because it deeply impacted my life and never thought it would end. I was able to think beyond my wildest dreams. Nothing was impossible. The sisterhood helped me form a positive thought life and I felt a real sense of belonging. I believed so passionately in the causes. 



I loved the sisterhood with all my heart but when my season was up, I felt a huge loss because I didnt see it coming but God in his mercy turned that pain into purpose.  

So many beautifully things came out from and after that season including my business Majestically Rare and then Raising Confident Girls was birthed soon after. Thankfully I am still good sister friends with a few remarkable ladies from that season who are doing wonderful things.


Sister Friends ALL doing Amazing Things




WHO AM I?

I lost a bit of myself especially when I relocated to Lagos from London and was trying to figure out where I fitted in this dynamic buzzing city that I had never lived in before. There was a lot of cultural adjustments needed for a ''Briticco Girl'' like me.  There were so many moments that I just wanted to run back to London.


I tried to keep up with the Lagos big gals ''look & feel'' with all that glitz and glam but aside from it being expensive, it just wasn’t me. I decided I was fed of up of weaves and painful relaxers so became part of team natural and the new and improved me evolved.

This is me

After a loss, Raising Confident Girls was birthed

LIGHT AT END OF LOSS

When you are going through loss, you can liken it to labour pains BECAUSE what comes after the pain can be beautiful and powerful and it can take you to new heights. It is a process though and shouldnt be rushed.
.
Have you ever experienced deep loss? How did you overcome it? 

Thanks for stopping by and reading this post which was quite difficult and uncomfortable to write but its intention is always to inspire somebody even if its one person. May the souls of all the departed rest in perfect peace and may everyone who has lost someone, something, some group find renewed peace and joy. 

The best thing that you will never loose is the LOVE of Christ. It never ends and it never fails. Shalom

PREVIOUS BLOG POST


YOU MIGHT ENJOY BLOG POST
12 BEAUTIFUL MEMORIES OF MY DAD

About Author

RiRi is a dedicated Events planner, personal development trainer and speaker who is passionate about serving clients at Majestically Rare to the highest standards. Only the best will do. She is also the founder of Raising Confident Girls Initiative with a clear vision: A world where every girl is confident. 

No comments:

Post a Comment