Friday 17 March 2017

WHO AM I TRYING TO IMPRESS?

Last month on my trip back from London via Dubai, I was the first person to enter the plane. The travellers in business class had not started seating and so I took a peek. The air hostess saw me and called me in from where I was peeping and told me to take a seat and have an experience of sitting in Business Class. I laughed as I sat down and enjoyed the feeling of briefly sitting in this luxury part of the plane.
FACT - I  SAT IN BUSINESS CLASS
MY LUXURY EXPERIENCE
In my normal fashion I asked the hostess to take a photo of me and she did. She smiled and said business class suited me and I should book it on my next visit. I wanted to say to her that there’s a recession in my country and it took sweat to buy my promo ticket. But I didn’t. I smiled and went back to my seat.
I saved the photo that she took and didnt share it until today. That must have been the Holy Spirit lol.
FACT OR TRUTH
So today, a friend of mine was discussing Fact or truth on his Facebook page and I remembered my photo. I wondered how I would have been perceived if I had posted that photo with no headline. What fact and truth would I have been portraying? Would my audience know that I wasn’t really travelling in business class? Would it open doors to people that would want to associate with me just because of the perceived impression? Don’t be surprised. It’s happens especially where I live.
TRUTH - MY REAL SEAT
WHAT IMPRESSION AM I CAUSING?
This caused me concern. Then I started to think about my daughter who is 16 and my son who is nearly 15 and all the peer pressure they must face to impress their friends, especially in the social media age. What about the movement that I belong to? Raising Confident Girls? What do we tell our girls?
I wanted more conversation, more thoughts and more interaction on this topic. So I took to Facebook and Instagram and surprise surprise, it generated the conversation I wanted.  

BE AUTHENTIC
I was taking a bold step. I opened my facebook conservation to the public. I was showing the world my authentic self. Is that really hard to do? Yes sometimes, depending on where you live in the world. 
At the end of the day, you do have to live your own truth, whatever that maybe and hope that it will set you free. I hope you enjoyed my blog post today. Please feel free to leave a comment and share with others.
Happy Weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment